Monday, January 23, 2017

A Month of... Celebrities in Comics, Day 23: Lethal Weapon 8: Dial M for Mel

Hey kids! That's Mel Gibson and Alfred Hitchcock hanging around the Salem Center, New York hospital (Our Lady of Mutated Grace Memorial)! EDIT: Oh, no, wait, as joecab correctly points out below, that's Vince Edwards as Dr. Ben Casey, which makes a lot more sense in the setting. I am humbly and gratefully corrected! Please just ignore all the Lethal Weapon jokes I've liberally scattered around this post, won't you?


Panel from The New Mutants (1983 series) #19 (September 1984), script by Chris Claremont, pencils and inks by Bill Sienkiewicz, colors by Glynis Wein, letters by Tom Orzechowski

Also in this issue: the proof that Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters was the inspiration for Betsy DeVos's "arm a student, stop a bear" proposal! She was trying to warn us: demon bears kill!


6 comments:

joecab said...

I can see the Hitch cameo, but Mel Gibson wouldn't make much sense; I'm pretty sure that's Vince Edwards as Dr. Ben Casey.

Dave said...

Agree on Vince Edwards. I know you're just a li'l stuffed bull, but you usually know better.

Bully said...

Well whaddaya know, I think you're right, joecab! (And Dave!) In fact, when I image-searched Vince Edwards, one of the first pics that popped up looks like Sienkiewicz's photo reference for this panel. Boy is my face red!

Consider yourself honorarily awarded the No-Bull Prize, Fictional Doctors Department! I appreciate the correction, as Dr. Ben Casey isn't part of my pop culture knowledge!

joecab said...

I gotta admit that the show is a vague memory (except for its iconic "Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity" opening) from the occasional rerun on in the wee hours. So I owe my knowledge to the times he was parodied on the Flintstones. :)

Ward Hill Terry said...

Ben Casey means nothing to me, as a TV show. However, I am aware that Neal Adams used to draw the Ben Casey newspaper strip. He did one of his "hidden heads" in a Sunday strip. Is this another example of Bill Sienkiewicz aping/tweaking/poking Neal Adams?

Blam said...

"In the sense of my sexual stamina. Geez, Sharon."
"Th-This is a Code-approved book, Tom!"
(What Terrence said goes for me too.)